Updates and Goals- Feb. 2014


I'm totally excited to be 18,500 words in on my new book Waking the Moon, which tells the story of a young woman who discovers that she is the mate of a werewolf and her journey to acceptance. It's my first attempt attempt at paranormal romance, squee!! This is one of those books that I'm having more fun reading than writing. I keep going back to re-read scenes and then getting frustrated when I can't finish the book! I know it's crazy, but no one ever said being an author was for the sane. ;)

The downside, though, is that I'm now in the dreaded middle. I wonder how many books I'll have to write before the middle stops scaring me as much as it currently does?

Another thing I'm dealing with is writer's guilt. I leave the house at 9 a.m. and then am back at home at 7:30 p.m. on non-gym days and 8:30 on gym days (which is 4 out of 5 days of the week). The crock pot has saved my butt when it comes to dinner and the hungry man that is my husband (because let's face it, he can't cook), but I feel bad leaving him to deal with our ornery puppy when he's exhausted from work. We want to have kids sooner rather than later, and I can't help but think "Wow, how am I going to do this with a little person clinging to my boob?!".

Because writing is such a solitary sport, sometimes your forget that there are other authors out there who are dealing with the same thing. Thank God for the internet!

In other news, I've already sold a few copies of The Two Worlds and am now just looking for reviews. I updated my goals at the beginning of the month and will start posting them on this blog so readers can help keep me accountable. Here we go:

February 2014 Goals
-Contact local bookstores to schedule readings or signings
-Finish Waking the Moon. My current word count goal is 30,000 (it's a novella).
-Start writing The Two Worlds 2!

I'm also trying to get into a habit of posting on this blog more. I don't write as much because I get nervous and think, "What if no one wants to hear what I have to say?" But that's ridiculous. If you've made it this far, you probably don't mind reading my babble, right? Right!

2 comments:

  1. Being an author is definitely not for the sane :)

    I get nervous about blogging and wasting people's time, but it's their choice to read, and it's MY website. I'm working on getting used to that, myself.

    I'm really bad at balancing things in life. It's only when I'm actually writing that I don't feel like I need to be doing anything else, which is why I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also an indie author and I have three kids. I'm divorced so I have the kids for a week and then my ex-wife has them for the other week. I can tell you it's tricky balancing parenting, work and writing, but it is possible. I actually think it's the only way I can manage writing - doing it while I have downtime with work and kids. If I was writing full time I think I might freak out!

    Kids are also great sounding boards - I write superhero/urban fantasy so I often talk with my three kids about story lines, characters and concepts. The eldest is thirteen, the youngest nine - so it's a good range.

    Good luck with the blog and writing. Hang in there and it'll pay off.

    ReplyDelete